Before your new kitchen countertops are measured and installed, there are some important details you need to know. Please read all the information in our web-site carefully to ensure the best possible service and satisfaction with your stone slab countertops.
Please call us the moment your cabinets are ready to be measured. We will then schedule to measure your cabinets. Waiting to call us will only delay your installation date.
If you are using existing cabinets:
- In order to obtain accurate measurements for your new countertops, all clutter must be removed from the surface. Coffee Pots, small appliances, etc. should be okay to leave where they are.
- Southwest Marble and Granite Works will inspect the structural integrity of your cabinets to determine their ability to support the new material. Some work may be necessary to make the cabinets structurally suitable. This work is not included in the scope of our contract and you will need to make appropriate arrangements with a cabinet professional, general contractor, or make these adjustments yourself. Southwest Marble and Granite Works will be happy to provide referrals for companies that specialize in this type of work.
Appliances and Fixtures:
- Southwest Marble and Granite Works associates are not trained to determine the suitability of specific fixtures or appliances. However, we will work with you to help evaluate whether the components' size and characteristics will fit with your stone countertops.
- All fixtures (sinks, cook tops, downdrafts, faucets, hot water dispensers, soap/lotion dispensers, etc.) that will be used in conjunction with your countertops should be available on the job site at the time of measurement or delivered to our office prior to measurement to ensure proper suitability.
About your Installation:
- Existing countertops MUST be removed prior to installation. Southwest Marble and Granite Works is able to remove your existing countertops and backsplashes for an additional cost. However, because our installers are not licensed electricians and/or plumbers and do not want to jeopardize the safety of your home or damage your fixtures, we cannot cut off and remove your sinks and/or cook tops. Southwest Marble and Granite Works will be happy to provide referrals for companies that specialize in this type of work, and can do the tear-out of your existing counters as well.
- All cabinets must be level to within 1/8" within a 10-foot span.
- If ceramic tiles are located on your backsplash, at least the bottom row of tile must be removed.
- Cook top and self-rimming sink cut outs will be cut on-site. While this does generate some dust, one of our installers will follow behind the saw and collect any dust in a shop vacuum. This minimizes dust considerably. We will try to leave your home the way we found it.
- The installation process will require the use of epoxies, sealers and silicones. The odors that result from these substances may be offensive to some individuals. We recommend that individuals who are sensitive to these types of fumes not be present during the completion of any work.
- All Southwest Marble and Granite Works countertops are sealed with a top-of-the-line impregnating sealer either during or before installation to assist with long-term protection of the granite. You might have heard granite needs to be sealed every 1-3 years. That is true with certain sealers. However, the sealer we use should not have to ever be reapplied after the first seal (this is true for granite only. Other stones should be re-sealed every year).
- Countertops will be leveled to adjoining tops; this may require the use of shims between the supporting structure and the tops.
- All granite slabs are cut in straight lines. If the walls are not in square, there may be a gap or noticeable space between the countertop and the wall. A backsplash usually will cover this gap.
- Once installation is complete, countertops will require a mandatory setting time of overnight before installing fixtures and/or reconnecting utilities. Southwest Marble and Granite Works will set your sinks and cook tops in place to ensure a proper fit, then you are responsible for scheduling licensed professionals to reconnect fixtures and connections.
- We recommend you inspect your countertops as soon after the installation as possible for quality and suitability to help minimize any time needed to make additional adjustments to ensure your happiness with your project.